Me & Science:
I am longing to be the one who sees something for the first time in the world.
Research Interests:Structural Biology and Biochemistry
- The structure and functional mechanism of disease-related secondary active transporters
- The architecture and electromechanical coupling mechanism of voltage gated ion channels
- Modulation of membrane proteins by lipids
- Oct. 2007—Now: Professor, School of Medicine, Tsinghua University
- Jan. 2005—Sep. 2007: Post-doctoral research associate in the Department of Molecular Biology at Princeton University
- Aug. 2000—Dec. 2004: Ph.D candidate in the Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University Advisor: Dr. Yigong Shi
- Sep. 1996—July, 2000: B.S. degree from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, major in Biology.
1. Nieng Yan (2013) Structural advances for the major facilitator superfamily ( MFS) transporters. Trends in Biochemical Sciences, 38: 151-159 (commissioned review)
2. Linfeng Sun, Xin Zeng, Chuangye Yan, Xiuyun Sun, Xinqi Gong, Yu Rao, and Nieng Yan (2012). Crystal structure of a bacterial homologue of glucose transporters GLUT1-4. Nature, 490(7420): 361-6. doi: 10.1038/nature11524.
3. Xu Zhang, Wenlin Ren, Paul DeCaen, Chuangye Yan, Xiao Tao, Lin Tang, Jingjing Wang, Kazuya Hasegawa, Takashi Kumasaka, Jianhua He, Jiawei Wang, David E. Clapham, and Nieng Yan (2012). Crystal structure of an orthologue of the NaChBac voltage-gated sodium channel. Nature, 486: 130-134 ( Epub 2012 May 20)
4. Dong Deng, Chuangye Yan, Xiaojing Pan, Magdy Mahfouz, Jiawei Wang, Jian-Kang Zhu, Yigong Shi#, and Nieng Yan# (2012) Structural basis for the specific recognition of DNA by TAL effectors. Science, 335: 720-3 [Epub 2012 Jan 5] (# indicates corresponding authors).
5. Feiran Lu, Shuo Li, Yang Jiang, Jing Jiang, He Fan, Guifeng Lu, Dong Deng, Shangyu Dang, Xu Zhang, Jiawei Wang, and Nieng Yan. (2011) Structure and mechanism of the uracil transporter UraA. Nature, 473: 243-6 (Epub 2011 Mar 20).
6. Shangyu Dang, Linfeng Sun, Feiran Lu, Jiawei Wang, and Nieng Yan. (2010) The structure of a fucose transporter in an outward-open conformation. Nature, 467: 734-8
7. Yi Wang, Yongjian Huang, Jiawei Wang, Chao Cheng, Weijiao Huang, Peilong Lu, Ya-Nan Xu, Pengye Wang, Nieng Yan#, and Yigong Shi#. (2009) Structure of the formate transporter FocA reveals a pentameric aquaporin-like channel. Nature (article) 462: 467-472 (# indicates corresponding authors)
8. Ping Yin, He Fan, Qi Hao, Xiaoqiu Yuan, Di Wu, Yuxuan Pang, Chuangye Yan, Wenqi Li, Jiawei Wang, and Nieng Yan. (2009) Structural insights into the mechanism of abscisic acid signaling by PYL. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, 16:1230-1236 (Cover and “article of the month”)
- Email: structure at tsinghua.edu.cn
- Phone: +86-10-62771298
- Fax: +86-10-62792736