Seeking a Team Leader
for Tsinghua-RIKEN Joint Laboratory for Immunology
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Tsinghua-RIKEN Joint Laboratory for Immunology
*This Laboratory will be jointly established by the RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences and the Institute of Immunology, Tsinghua University.
The RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences (IMS) and the Institute for Immunology, Tsinghua University (IITU) plan to establish one joint laboratory focused on cutting edge immunology research. IMS and IITU, both leading research institutes, invite applications for this unique tenure-track position at Tsinghua University. We are seeking exceptional candidates pursuing innovative research on any aspect of immunology, including but not limited to the inflammasome, immune memory, human and clinical immunology, microbiota and mucosal immunity, and animal disease models. We are particularly interested in candidates who will bring novel approaches, either technical or conceptual, to the study of the immune system.
【Job title and Job description 】
One opening for an adjunct Team Leader at IMS, RIKEN
*This is considered a joint PI position with at least 5 years employment as a full-time tenure-track faculty by the Institute for Immunology, Tsinghua University (IITU). The selected joint PI will be also assigned as an adjunct Team Leader at the RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences (IMS). The arrangement above is based on the agreement between Tsinghua University and RIKEN.
- Activities of the joint PI will be in both Beijing as a full time IITU faculty member and in Yokohama as an adjunct IMS PI.
- The joint PI will lead an independent Research Group and provide training and nurturing to postdoctoral researchers and graduate students at IITU. The joint PI will also lead a research team at IMS. The joint PI will develop cooperation between IMS and IITU in research and capacity building.
- The faculty position is a tenure-track position at IITU. Based on international standards, the tenure-track faculty system at Tsinghua University offers a merit-based academic career choice for outstanding scientists. The career path starts from the initial appointment as a tenure-track faculty through a tenured position as Associate Professor or to Full Professor.
- All applicants must have earned a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and have substantial postdoctoral training with a record of excellent research accomplishments.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated excellence and creativity in research, scholarship and a commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education.
- The successful candidate will have leadership and management abilities to run a research laboratory and direct laboratory staff.
Institute for Immunology, Tsinghua University (IITU)
Beijing 10084, China
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences(IMS)
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230-0045, Japan
【Salary and benefits】
[Terms of contract] ・[Salary]・[Holidays]・[Other provisions]
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and is highly competitive by international standards.
Benefits and other provisions are in accordance with the regulations of Tsinghua University.
【Application and required documents】
Interested applicants should send the application documents below in a single PDF file to IMS email address：IMS-recruit[at]riken.jp（Please replace “[at]” with ”@”.）
* Please put “Application Documents; IMS701-1801 Tsinghua-RIKEN – Joint PI” in the subject line.
[Documents to submit]
1. CV with photograph and E-mail address. (Please add “Open call ID [IMS701-1801]” to the upper right corner of the CV.)
2. List of publications (primary publications, reviews and books), presentations, etc. in the past ten years.
3. Major publications. [Up to five. Indicate the papers that will be submitted on the list of publications (#2).]
4. Future research plans and research philosophy/vision (Up to five double spaced A4-size pages) including;
- Abstract of your research plans and vision.
- Specific description of your near term (5 year) research plans - their significance, originality, novelty, and expected impact. Include a brief description of previous research and achievements that form the basis of your plans.
- List of competitive external funding awarded currently and in the last 5 years as well as currently submitted/under review proposals (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research [KAKENHI]; indicate whether you are the primary investigator or a collaborator)
5. One letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, as well as letters of recommendation from two researchers not affiliated with RIKEN.
*Recommendation letter should be addressed to “President, RIKEN” and include the recommender’s name, affiliation, position and E-mail address.
*Recommendation letter should be sent by E-mail directly, to IMS-recruit[at]riken.jp（replace “[at]” with ”@”.）Please put “Recommendation letter for (name of applicant)” in the subject line.
6. Certificate of graduation or copy of diploma for the highest degree obtained (photocopy acceptable). (This document can be sent anytime up until the day of the interview.)
*Application documents will not be returned.
5:00 PM on January 4th (Mon.), 2018 (Japan Standard Time)
*All required documents should be submitted by this deadline except for [Documents to submit] #6. Certificate of graduation.
[Handling of personal data]
Submitted documents are strictly protected under the RIKEN’s privacy policies and will be used only for the purpose of applicant screening and hiring. Personal information will not be disclosed, transferred or loaned to a third party under any circumstances.
The candidates will be evaluated for their potential, especially her/his scientific standards and research and communication skills in accordance with Tsinghua University and RIKEN regulations and guidelines.
Only individuals who pass the initial documents screening will be interviewed.
【Start of Employment】
April 1, 2018 or the earliest date possible (negotiable)
Any questions about this position should be sent to the email address given below.
Please put "Open call IMS701-1801 for Tsinghua-RIKEN Joint Laboratory for Immunology, IMS" in the subject line.
For application documents and general questions:
Recruiting staff for RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences,
Administrative Division, RIKEN Yokohama Branch,
IMS-recruit[at]riken.jp (please replace “[at]” with ”@”).
For research contents:
ims-suishin [at]riken.jp (please replace “[at]” with ”@”).
Application documents should not be sent to this address; please use the recruitment address above.
Where announcement is to be made
RIKEN public website・Other (Tsinghua University website, 日本分子生物学会HP,日本免疫学会HP,日本生化学会HP)