In the spirit of advancing international friendship and cooperation between the United States and China, strengthening global connections between institutions of higher learning, and promoting the advancement of education, research, and cross-cultural understanding, Tsinghua University (THU), Department of Electronic Engineering (EE) / Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) and Johns Hopkins University (JHU), Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) jointly agree to enter into a partnership to explore and implement programs of mutual interest.
Earn an international master’s education from the world’s top-ranked engineering programs in two years by enrolling in the Tsinghua JHU-BME Dual Degree Master Program. You will:
- Gain practical skills and knowledge in cutting-edge engineering disciplines
- Receive personalized advising and mentorship from leaders in your field
- Experience other cultures and traditions
- Build international collaborations in academia, medicine, and industry
- Gain a competitive advantage in the international job market
- Become a global leader in biomedical discovery, innovation, and translation
- Simultaneously earn a MSE degree from Johns Hopkins and a MS from Tsinghua University.
- Department of Biomedical Engineering has been ranked as #1 Graduate Program in BME since 1992 (U.S. News & World Report)
Students enrolled in this program will spend their first year in Johns Hopkins University for course study, and the second year in Tsinghua University for lab research.
Year 1: Johns Hopkins University
Department of Biomedical Engineering, in Johns Hopkins University was ranked as #1 Graduate Program in BME since 1992 (U.S. News & World Report). Through hands-on, project-based courses, you will gain in-depth knowledge in a specialized discipline at the forefront of biomedical engineering discovery and innovation. As part of these courses, you will work with the leading engineers, scientists, and clinicians at Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital to build new technologies, create medical devices, make novel discoveries, and solve real-world engineering problems related to human health. Choose a coursework focus area driven by our pioneering research:
Life at Johns Hopkins is about more than earning a degree. Here, you’ll be a part of enduring university traditions and have new experiences that you’ll remember for a lifetime.
Year 2: Tsinghua University
The Engineering school in Tsinghua University was ranked as #1 Graduate Program in Engineering since 2015 (U.S. News & World Report). During your second year, build upon your knowledge by pursuing thesis research in the Biomedical Engineering or Electronic Engineering departments at Tsinghua University. Under the mentorship of China’s leading researchers and engineers, you will apply engineering principles to answer important biomedical problems and translate your findings into new applications. Choose a lab based focus area driven by our faculties:
1) Biomedical Data Science
2) Biomedical Imaging & Instrumentation
3) Computational Medicine
4) Genomics and Systems Biology
6) Regenerative and Immune Engineering
- Personal statement: please provide a maximum 2-page overview of your academic goals, career objectives and research interests.
- Recommendations: two letters of recommendation are required. At least one letter of recommendation must be from a faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s academic record. Paper-based letters are required to arrive in envelopes signed and sealed by the recommender.
- Transcripts: unofficial transcript is accepted for application. If the applicant is selected for admission, official transcript is required at registration. The final official transcript must list the degree earned, or a certificate of graduation is required.
- TOEFL (The Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required.
- Additional documents / evaluation: Candidates who wish to have their papers, abstracts, talks, portfolios, etc, reviewed, can included these materials as well.
Department of Electronic Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering