2008-Present Professor, School of Medicine, BME, Tsinghua University
1999-2008 Professor, Tech. Inst. Phys. Chem., Chinese Academy of Sciences
2002 Senior Visiting Scholar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1997-1999 Post Doc. Research Assoc., Purdue University
1996-1997 Assist. Professor, Tsinghua University
1992-1996 Ph.D. Candidate, Tsinghua University
1989-1992 B.S., Physics, Tsinghua University
1987-1992 B.E., Power Engineering, Tsinghua University
Dr. Jing Liu works at the interdisciplinary areas among liquid metal, tumor physical therapy, bioheat transfer, cryobiology, mobile health care and thermal science. He Liu pioneered a group of very fundamental discoveries and technological breakthroughs such as shape changeable liquid metal transformers, self-fuelled liquid metal machines, liquid metal triggered wire oscillation and liquid metal chip cooling, nerve connection etc. Some of them were frequently featured by worldwide science medium such as MIT Technology Review, New Scientist, and Nature etc. His works on liquid metal biomaterials, printed electronics, soft machines and chip cooling etc. initiated many game changing technologies. Dr. Liu’s inventions on hybrid freezing-heating tumor therapy machine and many mobile health care devices have been translated into clinical use. He is an author of ten popular books with one reprinted five times, over four hundred and eighty journal articles with over twenty selected as journal cover story, and holds more than 130 granted invention patents.
Dr. Jing Liu is a recipient of numerous awards like: The William Begell Medal (issued internationally to only an individual every four years), R&D 100 Awards Finalist, 2010-2011 Best Paper of the Year Award from ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, CCTV 2015 Top Ten Figures in Science and Technological Innovation, one of the Ten Major Scientific and Technological Progress News in China, and six times highest teaching award from Chinese Academy of Sciences, etc.
1. J. Liu, L. T. Yi, Liquid Metal Biomaterials: Principles and Applications, Springer, 2018;
2. J. Liu, L. Wang, Liquid Metal 3D Printing: Principles and Applications, Shanghai: Shanghai Science & Technology Press (in Chinese), 2018;
3. J. Liu*, Y. Yu, and L. Liu, Biomedical Engineering on a Mobile Phone: Principle and Application, Beijing: Science Press (in Chinese), 2011;
4. J. Liu*, W. Rao, and D. Jia, Advanced Technologies for Low Cost Medicine (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 2010;
5. J. Liu*, Y. G. Deng, and D. Jia, Unconventional Energy Technology (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 2010;
6. J. Liu* and Z. S. Deng, Tumor Hyperthermia Physics (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 2008;
7. J. Liu*, Thermal Micro-System Technology (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 2008;
8. J. Liu*, Principle of Cryo-Biomedical Engineering (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 2007;
9. J. Liu, Micro/Nano Scale Heat Transfer (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 2001.
10. J. Liu, C. C. Wang, Bioheat Transfer (in Chinese), Beijing: Science Press, 1997.
1. X. Wang, W. Yao, R. Guo, X. Yang, J. Tang, J. Zhang, W. Gao, V. Timchenko, and J. Liu*, Soft and moldable Mg-doped liquid metal for conformable skin tumor photothermal therapy, Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol. 7(14), pp. 1800318 , 2018.
2. J. Tang*, X. Zhao, J. Li, and J. Liu*, Thin, Porous, and Conductive Networks of Metal Nanoparticles through Electrochemical Welding on a Liquid Metal Template, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 1800406, 2018 (Cover story).
3. R. Guo, X. Wang, H. Chang, W. Yu, S. Liang, W. Rao, and J. Liu*, Ni-GaIn amalgams enabled rapid and customizable fabrication of wearable and wireless healthcare electronics, Adv. Eng. Mater., 2018, DOI: 10.1002/adem.201800054 (Cover story).
4. S. Xu, X. Zhao, J. Liu*, Liquid metal activated aluminum-water reaction for direct hydrogen generation at room temperature, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 92: 17-37, 2018.
5. H. Z. Wang, B. Yuan, S. T. Liang, R. Guo, W. Rao, X. L. Wang, H. Chang, Y. Ding, J. Liu*, L. Wang*, PLUS-Material: Porous Liquid-metal Enabled Ubiquitous Soft Material, Materials Horizons, vol. 5, pp. 222-229, 2018 (Cover story).
6. L. Yi, J. Liu*, Liquid metal biomaterials: A newly emerging area to tackle modern biomedical challenges, International Materials Reviews, vol. 62, pp. 415-440, 2017 (Invited review).
7. J. Tang, X. Zhao, J. Li, Y. Zhou, and J. Liu*, Liquid metal phagocytosis: Intermetallic wetting induced particle internalization, Advanced Science, vol.5, pp. 1700024 , 2017 (Cover story).
8. J. Tang*, X. Zhao, Y. Zhou, J. Liu*, Triggering and tracing electro-hydrodynamic liquid-metal surface convection with a particle raft, Advanced Materials Interfaces, vol.4, pp. 1700939, 2017 (Back cover story).
9. Q. Wang, Y. Yu, J. Liu*, Preparations, characteristics and applications of the functional liquid metal materials, Advanced Engineering Materials, 1700781, 2017 (Invited review).
10. Y. Yu, F. Liu, R. Zhang, and J. Liu*, Suspension 3D printing of liquid metal into self-healing hydrogel, Adv. Mater. Technol., 1700173, 2017 (Cover story).
11. X. Zhao, J. Tang, and J. Liu*, Surfing liquid metal droplet on the same metal bath via electrolyte interface, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 111, pp. 101603, 2017.
12. X. Sun, B. Yuan, W. Rao, J. Liu*, Amorphous liquid metal electrodes enabled conformable electrochemical therapy of tumors, Biomaterials, vol. 146, pp. 156-167, 2017.
13. R. Guo and J. Liu*, Implantable liquid metal-based flexible neural microelectrode array and its application in recovering animal locomotion functions, J. Micromech. Microeng., vol. 27, pp. 104002, 2017.
14. L. Hu, L. Wang, Y. Ding, S. Zhan, J. Liu*, Manipulation of liquid metals on a graphite surface, Advanced Materials, vol. 28, pp. 9210-9217, 2016 (Cover story).
15. Hu L, Yuan B, Liu J. Liquid metal amoeba with spontaneous pseudopodia formation and motion capability. Scientific Reports, 2017, 7: 7256-1-9.
16. L. Wang, B. Yuan, J. Lu, S. Tan, F. Liu, L. Yu, Z. He, J. Liu*, Self-propelled and long-time transport motion of PVC particles on a water surface, Advanced Materials, vol. 28, pp. 4065–4070, 2016.
17. B. Yuan, L. Wang, X. Yang, Y. Ding, S.Tan, L.Yi, Z. He, J. Liu*, Liquid metal machine triggered violin-like wire oscillator, Advanced Science, vol. 3, pp. 1600212 (4 pages), 2016 (Cover story).
18. L. Wang, Z. He, Y. Ding, X. Zhou, J. Liu*, The rebound motion of liquid metal droplet on flexible micro/nano needle forest, Advanced Materials Interfaces, vol.3, pp. 1600008 (6 pages), 2016.
19. L. Wang, J. Liu*, Liquid metal patterns induced by electric capillary force, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 108, pp. 161602, 2016.
20. F. Liu, Y. Yu, L. Yi, and J. Liu*, Liquid metal as reconnection agent for peripheral nerve injury, Science Bulletin, vol. 61 (12), pp. 939–947, 2016.
21. J. Zhang, Y. Y. Yao, L. Sheng, J. Liu*, Self-fueled biomimetic liquid metal mollusk, Advanced Materials, vol. 27, 2648-2655, 2015 (Inside front cover story).
22. Q. Wang, Y. Yang, J. Yang, J. Liu*, Fast fabrication of flexible functional circuits based on liquid metal dual-trans printing, Advanced Materials, vol. 27, pp. 7109–7116, 2015 (Back cover story).
23. L. Sheng, Z. He, Y. Yao, J. Liu*, Transient state machine enabled from the colliding and coalescence of a swarm of autonomously running liquid metal motors, Small, vol. 11(39), pp. 5253-5261, 2015 (Inside front cover story).
24. S. C. Tan, H. Gui, B. Yuan, J. Liu*, Magnetic trap effect to restrict motion of self-powered tiny liquid metal motors, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 107, pp. 071904, 2015.
25. S. C. Tan, B. Yuan, Liu, J.*, Electrical method to control the running direction and speed of self-powered tiny liquid metal motors, Proceedings of The Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol. 47, DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2015.0297, 2015.
26. Y. Y. Lai, J. Liu*, Transparent soft PDMS eggshell, Science China Technological Sciences, vol. 58(2), pp. 273-283, 2015. (Featured by many science media)
27. J. Zhang, Y. Y. Yao, and J. Liu*, Autonomous convergence and divergence of the self-powered soft liquid metal vehicles, Science Bulletin, vol. 60, pp. 943-951, 2015 (Cover story).
28. L. Sheng, J. Zhang, J. Liu*, Diverse transformation effects of liquid metal among different morphologies. Advanced Materials, vol. 26, pp. 6036-6042, 2014 (Cover story).
29. Y. Yu, Q. Wang, L. T. Yi, J. Liu*, Channelless fabrication for large-scale preparation of room temperature liquid metal droplets, Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 16, pp. 255-262, 2014 (Cover story).
30. Y. Zheng, Z. Z. He, J. Yang, J. Liu*, Personal electronics printing via tapping mode composite liquid metal ink delivery and adhesion mechanism. Scientific Reports, vol. 4, pp. 4588, 2014. (Featured by many science media)
31. J. Zhang, L. Sheng, J. Liu*, Synthetically chemical-electrical mechanism for controlling large scale reversible deformation of liquid metal objects. Scientific Reports, vol. 4, pp. 7116, 2014.
32. L. T. Yi, C. Jin, L. Wang, J. Liu*, Liquid-solid phase transition alloy as reversible and rapid molding bone cement. Biomaterials, vol. 35(37), pp. 9789-9801, 2014.
33. C. Guo, Y. Yu and J. Liu*, Rapidly patterning conductive components on skin substrates as physiological testing devices via liquid metal spraying and pre-designed mask, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, vol. 2, pp. 5739-5745, 2014 (Back cover story)
34. W.-Q. Fang, Z. Z. He and Jing Liu*, Electro-hydrodynamic shooting phenomenon of liquid metal stream, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 105, pp. 134104-1-4, 2014.
35. Q. Zhang, Y. X. Gao, J. Liu*, Atomized spraying of liquid metal droplets on desired substrate surfaces as a generalized way for ubiquitous printed electronics, Applied Physics A, vol. 116, pp. 1091–1097, 2014 (also see arXiv:1311.2158, 2013, Featured by many science media such as MIT Technology Review)
36. Q. Wang, Y. Yu, K. Pan, and J. Liu*, Liquid metal angiography for mega contrast X-ray visualization of vascular network in reconstructing in-vitro organ anatomy, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol.61(7), pp. 2161-2166, 2014 (Featured by many science media).
37. L. Wang, J. Liu*, Liquid phase 3D printing for quickly manufacturing conductive metal objects with low melting point alloy ink, Science China Technological Sciences, vol. 57(9), pp. 1721-1728, 2014 (Cover story).
38. L. Wang, J. Liu*, Compatible hybrid 3D printing of metal and nonmetal inks for direct manufacture of end functional devices, Science China Technological Sciences, vol. 57(11), pp. 2089–2095, 2014.
39. J. Zhang, L. Sheng, and J. Liu*, Liquid metal as connecting or functional recovery channel for the transected sciatic nerve, arXiv:1404.5931, 2014. (Featured by more than 100 science media or web such as: New Scientist, MIT Technology Review, IEEE Spectrum, Physics Today, Daily Mail, Discovery, Geek etc.)
40. Y. Zheng, Z. Z. He, J. Yang, J Liu*, Direct desktop Printed-Circuits-on-Paper flexible electronics. Scientific Report, 3: 1786-1-7, 2013. (Feature stories by Nature Asia, National Geographic News, Chemistry World, Asian Scientist Magazine, Desktop Engineering etc.)
41. C. Jin, J. Zhang, X. K. Li, X. Y. Yang, J. J. Li, J. Liu*. Injectable 3-D fabrication of medical electronics at the target biological tissues. Scientific Reports, 3, 3442-1-7, 2013 (Featured by many science media).
42. Q. Zhang, J. Liu*, Nano liquid metal as an emerging functional material in energy management, conversion and storage, Nano Energy, vol.2, pp. 863-872, 2013 (Invited article).
43. H. S. Ge, H. Y. Li, S. F. Mei, J. Liu*, Low melting point liquid metal as a new class of phase change material: An emerging frontier in energy area, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 21, pp. 331-346, 2013.
44. H.Y. Li, Y. Yang, and J. Liu*, Printable tiny thermocouple by liquid metal gallium and its matching metal, Applied Physics Letters, vol.101, 073511, 2012.
45. D.-R. Di, Z.-Z. He, Z.-Q. Sun, and J. Liu*, A new nano-cryosurgical modality for tumor treatment using biodegradable MgO nanoparticles, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, vol.8, pp.1233-1241, 2012 (Feature article & cover story).
46. Q. Zhang, Y. Zheng, J. Liu*, Direct writing of electronics based on alloy and metal ink (DREAM Ink): A newly emerging area and its impact on energy, environment and health sciences, Frontiers in Energy, vol.6(4), pp. 311-340, 2012 (Invited feature article).
47. D. Jia., W. Rao, C. Wang, C. Jin, S. Wang, D. Chen, M. Zhang, J. Guo, Z. Chang, J. Liu*, Inhibition of B16 murine melanoma metastasis and enhancement of immunity by fever-range whole body hyperthermia, International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol.27, pp. 275-285, 2011. (Cover story)
48. H. Y. Li, J. Liu*. Revolutionizing heat transport enhancement with liquid metals: Proposal of a new industry of water-free heat exchangers, Frontiers in Energy, vol. 5, pp. 20–42, 2011 (Invited feature article).
49. Y. G. Deng, J. Liu*, Design of a practical liquid metal cooling device for heat dissipation of high performance CPUs, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 132(3):31009-31014, 2010 (Selected as Journal’s 2010-2011 Best Paper of the Year Award)
50. W. Rao, Z. S. Deng, and J. Liu*, A review of hyperthermia combined with radiotherapy/chemotherapy on malignant tumors, Critical Reviews™ in Biomedical Engineering, vol.38, pp.106-116, 2010 (invited review).
Email: jliubme at tsinghua.edu.cn